Saturday, September 23, 2006

Autumn Equinox

We celebrated the first day of Fall with a trip to Japan Festival at Stone Mountain Park today.
It was a crush, full of people, so we didn't get any decent pictures except for the origami treats that we came away with.
We stopped at the Buford Highway Farmer's Market on the way home. It's an International market and they have lots of strange and fun things to goggle at.
I snatched up this little pink box of cookies. Finn asked me what was in the box, and I had to admit that I had no earthly idea. Finn sighed, "Mama, you only got this because it has a Puffy headed character on it, didn't you? You always want things with Puffy Poofy heads"
Yup.
We picked up this old tin dollhouse from a junk dealer on the side of the road some weeks back.
I've given one coat of white paint, and it needs more, but I couldn't wait any longer to put it in the dining room as our Holiday House. I have grand plans to deck it out for each holiday...but check with me next year to see if I hold true. I'm famous for coming up with things and never keeping it up.
It sits on a huge antique mirror backed sidebar that belonged to my Great Grandmother Ella Catherine. The sidebar is a pretty dark wood with elaborate carvings throughout and lately I've been dreaming about painting it white. I just found out from my mom that it was painted white when she was a little girl, but when it passed down to my Grandfather he had it stripped and stained.
Maybe one day when I feel like taking on a huge project, this sidebar is massive.

This evening we had roast chicken, mashed sweet potatoes and green beans before taking what is becoming our nightly neighborhood walk. Later, we played with glow in the dark sticks in the back yard and looked for stars peeking out from behind the clouds.

It was, quite simply, a wonderful way to begin my favorite season.

Now, I'm going to go fall on my face.

2 comments:

everything pink! said...

what a great house.

I just had my father in law make me a wooden holiday house that you decorate for each holiday like a gingerbread house. I will put photos on my blog next tuesday, just thought you might like it.

what a wonderful creative mind you have.

weirdbunny said...

I love those oragami things you bought. Can't wait too see what the house looks like at christmas time.